General DescriptionThis position will coordinate all activities related to sponsored projects including pre-award, post-award, close-out and audit compliance for the Whiting School of Engineering, Institute for NanoBioTechnology. This position reports to the Sr. Administrative Manager and will act as the final point of contact for INBT faculty and staff toward the planning and development of budgets for submission with grants packages to various federal, private, foundations and commercial agencies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Pre-Award Financial Administration:
- Responsible for creation and review of sponsored project proposals within Institute including budget development. Review is based upon accuracy, content, adherence to institutional, government, and other sponsor regulations.
- Responsible for tracking proposals and other documentation through the signature/approval process and ensuring documents are properly uploaded to the appropriate electronic submission site.
- Interpret agency (sponsor) announcements to ensure proposal documents, justifications, and compliance issues are complete at time of submission.
- Work with faculty to develop budget justification and reviews final document for appropriateness and completeness of content. Compares budget detail to budget justification for consistency.
- Verify compliance with sponsoring organizations' guidelines, as well as with relevant University policies and procedures.
- Advise Principal Investigators in completion of required information for regulatory compliance.
- Advise investigators on appropriate language for grant presentation, including budget justification, publication lists, abstracts, current and pending support. Also advises on appropriate effort level.
- Provide the groundwork for subcontract negotiations, including review for Hopkins-friendly contract language prototypes, and coordinate submission of subcontract proposals from other institutions.
- Maintain tracking systems for active and pending awards by fiscal year, department, division, and/or individual investigator.
- Advise faculty of funding opportunities including the availability of sponsored, gift, and university funds.
Post Award Financial Administration:
- Analyze/interpret complex financial data and maintain reports for forecasting and results analysis.
- On a routine schedule consult with principal investigators regarding current grant status, projections, and provide recommendations for future spending.
- Prepare individual and divisional faculty funding analysis for review by faculty, chairman, and administrative manager. This will include active and pending award totals in addition to current balances in pertinent non-sponsored accounts.
- Assist with the analysis of programs, the product of which is incorporated into short and long range financial, operational and strategic planning.
- Track personnel information for grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements to insure that JHU policies and procedures are followed in relation to appointments and work permits. Maintains confidentiality around this information.
- Analyze expenditures to insure that they are allowable and project specific to be sure there are no potential audit issues and make corrections as necessary.
- Facilitate corrections to accounts in question working with Faculty and Administrative Manager.
- Serve as backup approver for cost reimbursements, i.e., travel expense reports, supply purchases, purchase orders as necessary.
- Assist budget staff in resolving purchasing, accounts payable and receivable problems ensuring that costs are properly posted.
- Collaborate with Sponsored Projects Shared Services on reports and invoices for accuracy and timeliness.
- Complete monthly/quarterly agency financial reports and work with Sponsored Projects Shared Services to submit to funding agencies.
- Manage contract and grant closeout processes such as following up with technical reports, invention/patent reports, financial status reports, and specific documents as required by terms of the award.
General Financial Support:
- Maintain sponsored and non-sponsored activities for Institute faculty.
- Monitor the Institute's surplus/deficit report on a monthly basis. Make corrections as necessary and notifies the proper person and/or department as needed.
- Assist in monitoring the Institute's control salary and overpayment reports.
- Serve as backup for Review and approval of procurement card purchases to ensure that expenses are allocated to appropriate accounts in the JP Morgan PaymentNet System
- Prepare and process payroll documents, subcontracts, and other financial reports.
- Maintain professional confidentiality in regards to employee issues, payroll concerns, etc.
- Review all subaward invoices and prepare sub-recipient certifications for approval by the PI.
- Create goods receipts and route all pertinent documentation to appropriate A/P Staff for payment processing.
- Assist Administrative Manager in preparing sponsored projections for divisional business office.
- Work on special projects for the chairman or administrative manager as requested.
- May direct activities of other support staff and/or represent the administrative manager at meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.