Senior Sponsored Projects Manager - (1700004G)
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is currently seeking a Senior Sponsored Projects Manager in Sponsored Projects Accounting and Compliance (SPAC). The Senior Sponsored Projects Manager is responsible for the development and implementation of systems, policy, and process for the accounting teams that are responsible for sponsored project setup, maintenance, reporting and other accounting functions key to the University's goals and objectives. The position includes developing and implementing processes for adherence to standard accounting policies, procedures, and programs to ensure data quality, efficiencies, and compliance. This position has the authority to formulate, affect, interpret, or implement management policies or operating practices.
Sponsored Projects Accounting and Compliance (SPAC) serves as a resource and partner to departmental administrators and researchers in all aspects of post-award financial administration. We provide accounting and compliance support to the departments who are responsible for sponsored project execution and the day-to-day financial administration of the award.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
- Responsible for implementing strategic plans of internal operational initiatives for Sponsored Projects Accounting and Compliance (SPAC). Oversees short-term and long-range planning, and works with the Director to integrate into overall strategic plan. Develops strategies and makes recommendations to the Director on effective leadership and day-to-day financial management processes for sponsored projects.
- Continuously assesses the Sponsored Projects Team's ability to maintain high quality, value-added services in response to the growth of sponsored projects activities. Implements efficiencies and new, creative approaches where necessary to address increases in workload volume or complexity.
- Ensures alignment with Sponsored Projects and campus-wide goals/objectives in order to promote maximum staff member benefit and effectiveness as well as overall functional productivity. Develops metrics and associated quality assurance monitoring to evaluate ongoing functional programs and controls.
- Orients and provides professional development to the Sponsored Projects staff. Implements team building strategies, employing outcome measures to evaluate goal attainment, as well as individual and team productivity (quantity and quality), and formulating workload metrics.
- Identifies the training needs of the Sponsored Projects Team and coordinates delivery of training to meet such needs. Ensures that the staff members possess current, expert knowledge of applicable federal regulations, laws, state statutes and University policies and procedures as they relate to the financial administration of sponsored projects.
- Oversee development and maintenance of procedure manuals/guides to assist the staff in performing duties. Guides the Sponsored Projects Team in problem solving and decision making by facilitating meetings that result in the implementation of effective and creative solutions.
- Serve as an expert resource for the Sponsored Projects Team by providing on-going guidance and assisting staff in resolving particularly complex or difficult situations through direct involvement and by coaching.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with internal and external representatives of the University with responsibilities that impact the financial management of Sponsored Projects. Facilitates effective communications among staff and representatives to ensure the Sponsored Projects Team's ability to provide seamless customer service.
- Participates in the design, development, and implementation of electronic systems supporting sponsored projects activities including, but not limited to, enhancement of data systems, integrating web pages and data systems to create electronic processes, and expanding data system reporting functions.
- Serves as primary contact for grantor monitoring visits and associated external financial audits involving sponsored activities.
- Responsible for carrying out special projects and other duties as assigned by the Director of Sponsored Projects.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, business administration, or other discipline appropriate to position is required (Master's degree and/or additional certification (CPA, CIA) is preferred and can be used to substitute for relevant experience).Experience:
Five (5) years spent progressively building a background in contracts, grants, and research administration.
Two (2) years of direct supervision or responsibility for training, work coordination, and monitoring the work of others.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of best practices in field as well as all relevant federal, state, and local rules, regulations, and programs/policies for meeting sponsored project compliance. Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences. Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and learns how to effectively use technology. Ability to quickly analyze complex information using logic and reasoning to define problems, identify patterns, tendencies and relationships, formulate logical and objective conclusions and recognize alternatives and their implications.
- Instructional, training, and teambuilding skills to strengthen and cultivate relationships. Consultation and change management skills. Ability to continuously seek quality service and process improvements in order to support a mission and strategic vision. Ability to apply deductive reasoning and draw conclusions in order to solve problems and facilitate decision-making processes. Ability to prioritize ongoing and new projects, as well as conduct research and gather information.
- Excellent leadership skills and demonstrated experience in ability to train staff and employ team-building techniques. Ability to function as an effective part of a management team.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Writes and presents information in a clear and concise way. Interprets and understands written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Demonstrate pleasant and positive interactions with other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers. Reaches compromise and consensus to influence and negotiate. Remains calm and is able to manage conflict, and works well with a diverse workforce. Approachable style allows others to be open in sharing thoughts and ideas.
Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Human Resource Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
: Exempt Staff - E1254G
Employee Class : Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
: Day Job
Financial Disclosure: No
: Sponsored Projects Accounting and Compliance
: Jan 13, 2017